There has been a GP practice on site since the 1920’s, servicing the once very small community. The practice was established inside an old Victorian Villa, which is reflected in our logo. Auckland was a very different place back then!
Before the Auckland Harbour Bridge was built, resident doctors would commute to work by rowing across the Waitemata Harbour. The dedication to go “the extra mile” for the Birkenhead community has become the legacy and pride of FMB.
4 years after the war, Dr Ross Stewart takes over as practice owner and lead doctor. At this time Birkenhead was still a very small neighbourhood with many soldiers from the Army & Navy calling it home.
On the 30th May 1959 to the joy of Auckland commuters – the Harbour Bridge opened and so did easy access to the North Shore. Birkenhead as we know it changed forever and large sub-divisions of families expanded all throughout the area.
Fast forward many years to 1989, Birkenhead Avenue gets a major overhaul with street & sidewalk repaving. Shortly after in 1990, our current practice building is completed. At the time the Family Medicine Birkenhead (FMB) practice was owned by Dr Ross Stewart. He was at the helm for 41 years! From 1949 until his retirement when Dr John Richmond took over in 1990!
Family Medicine Birkenhead changed ownership to Dr Milica and her husband Milan in January 2021, Dr Milica has been a resident GP at the practice since 2019. As new owners we aspire to build on the existing foundations in making Family Medicine Birkenhead a thriving practice that will continue to provide multigenerational patient care of a highest standard. Providing exceptional GPs who are regularly available is of the utmost importance to Family Medicine Birkenhead.
Best Healthcare For Your Family!
We are now enrolling new patients and their families that live locally or nearby. Schedule an appointment with any of our doctors using our online tool or give our friendly administration team a call today.